Dentures offer a proven and reliable way to restore dental health and improve quality of life. While the idea of getting dentures may initially seem daunting, there is no need for concern. Millions worldwide use dentures and continue to enjoy life fully, without adverse health implications. Nonetheless, maintaining your dentures is crucial to ensure their longevity. That’s why our Fort Lauderdale denture specialists are here today, offering their top tips for keeping your dentures in optimal condition.
Cleaning Frequency of Dentures
Our Fort Lauderdale denture experts recommend that you clean your dentures as often as you clean your natural teeth – that is, twice a day. The more vigilant you are with your oral care routine, the less likely you are to suffer from gum diseases, infections, or tooth decay. Make sure to heed your dentist’s advice and follow their prescribed care routine. Sticking to a rigorous regimen will help you avoid future dental issues.
Proper Denture Cleaning Technique
It’s essential to focus not only on how often you clean your dentures but also how you clean them. Let’s look at some valuable advice from our denture professionals:
- Gently remove your dentures and brush away any food residue using a denture-specific paste.
- Soak your dentures in the cleaner recommended by your dentist. Make sure you have an ample supply of cleanser on hand as substituting it with hard water can damage your dentures. Avoid using hot water as it can distort them.
- After soaking, some dentists suggest lightly brushing the dentures again, ensuring no bacteria remain. Treat this secondary brushing as a preventive measure.
- Once cleaned, replace your dentures and repeat this process each time you clean your natural teeth and dentures.
Selecting the Correct Denture Cleaning Products
You should follow your dentist’s recommendations for denture cleaning products. Depending on the type of dentures you have, our denture specialists in Fort Lauderdale FL advise that you select appropriate maintenance products. For instance, if you have sensitive teeth or gums, you likely have dentures with a soft lining, and you need to select products that won’t damage this coating.
- Avoid using bleach-based products, as they can weaken dentures over time and make them more susceptible to damage.
- Continuous use of bleaching creams and rinses can make your dentures look less natural.
Adopting Minor Lifestyle Adjustments
Dentures enable you to enjoy your favorite foods and drinks. However, you should be mindful of potential staining from strong coffee, black tea, red wine, and highly pigmented fruits. If you notice that such foods and drinks are staining your dentures, consult your dentist about a cleaning and whitening treatment.
Enlist the Help of Your Fort Lauderdale Denture Specialists
As your dentist probably already mentioned, you should schedule regular check-ups for tartar removal, stain cleaning, and general examination of your teeth and gums. Our denture experts in Fort Lauderdale FL are ready to help you devise and adhere to an effective denture maintenance plan to keep your smile radiant and your life full of joy.
In addition to dentures, our practice offers a wide range of services, including Teeth Cleaning, Cosmetic Dentistry, Veneers, Dental Implants, Invisalign, Crowns & Bridges, Partials & Dentures, Invisible Fillings, SureSmile, Teeth Whitening, Root Canals, Nightguards, and more! Contact us today to book your free consultation and learn more about our services.